Monitoring and Reporting Pupil Progress: Guidance for Parents and Carers

Target Setting

We aim to set ambitious but achievable goals for our pupils. From Year 7, pupils are assigned to an Estimated Attainment Pathway (EAP) . Calculated using their KS2 scores, this an estimate of the minimum GCSE grade they should aim to achieve based on the progress made by similar pupils nationally. We encourage pupils to focus on achieving or surpassing this grade if they can. In Year 10 and 11, pupils will be given a specific GCSE target grade in each subject they study.

Assessing and Monitoring Progress

After changes to the KS3 National Curriculum were introduced in 2013, the National Curriculum Levels used to measure the attainment of pupils in Key Stage 3 became obsolete. Schools now use their own systems to assess pupils and monitor progress.
At Ormskirk School we use Estimated Attainment Pathways (EAPs) to monitor the progress pupils are making towards their goals. We use sophisticated data systems to ensure we are able to identify pupils who are making expected progress and those who may need additional support.

Reporting Progress

Parents receive a formal report each term. These reports indicate where a pupil is the level of progress a pupil is making towards their targets and their attitude to learning in each subject. Reports are accessed through School Gateway. Additionally, parents are able to make use of Class Charts to monitor behaviour and homework.

What to do if you have concerns about your child’s progress

Pupils progress at different rates, so please do not be unduly concerned if your child is not making expected progress in all lessons. In most cases, pupils will be clear about what they need to do to improve and may just need time and support to do so. Looking in their school books or discussing their progress with them will often be informative.
However, if you are concerned about progress in a particular subject and would like to discuss this further, please contact your child’s subject teacher in the first instance. This is best done by email.
If you have serious concerns about the progress your child is making more generally it is best to contact their Progress and Learning Leader (PLL). Again, this can be done by email initially.